Wednesday 7 July 2010

Thesis writing

Now to change topic slightly...

Writing the dreaded thesis...summing up 3-4 years of research in one nice big package, not an easy task but these helpful tips from a PostDoc in my lab have really helped me.

1. Set yourself small daily targets. For example 'Today I'll get 3 pages of my materials & methods done. I'll draft and re-draft those 3 pages until they're ready to send off to be corrected by boss. Once I have those 3 pages done I can relax for the day!''

2. If you're in the 'writing zone' and things are flowing then keep going, turn off your phone & internet browser & TV (if like me you have no discipline & they're always on ha) and let the words come out.

3. Leave the introduction till last. It may seem like a good place to start but personally I find it quite hard, the intro needs to lead into the results, and sometimes it's easier to have the results done & dusted before you write the intro; this way you know exactly what needs to be said in it.

4. Keep calm and don't put yourself under too much pressure. Like all forms of study, you'll just psych yourself out before you've even started.

5. Use EndNote! It's a God send for referencing!

If anyone else has any good tips please let me know.

Rachel xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment