Friday 13 August 2010

Lab Pet Peeves...Most Annoying Tasks

I always said I'd post light hearted and positive posts, but since it's Friday the 13th and several things have already gone wrong for me today...I'm going to make a list of the most annoying/mundane/monotonous tasks in the lab that I wish I could get someone else to do for me! (That's a bit of a fib - I don't mind doing these things, but they always have to be done at the most inconvenient time so perhaps 2 spare arms to help me get them done would be the best solution).

1. Aliquot-ing.
2. pHing buffers.
3. Washing 2 units of platelets (don't ask).
4. Refilling tips boxes manually (one by one).
5. Searching in the -80 freezer for a box/sample that you know you left at the front on the left in the middle shelf but somehow mysteriously it has moved/vanished.

Let me know your least favourite lab tasks that are trivial or boring-but must be done for a fully functional and operational experiment/laboratory!

Rachel xxx

PS I feel a lot better after that rant-blogging can be cathartic! And I also have to say that I love my job & I wouldn't change it for the world...but seriously, a few spare arms would be very very handy once in a while ;)

4 comments:

  1. What an annoying list!You have, however, omitted what I consider to be the most annoying lab task of all:
    writing up experiments . . . . . .WHICH DIDN'T EVEN WORK!!!!!!!!!!!
    Very few things are as depressing as spending an afternoon carefully documenting your most recent failure. I think I'd even rather pH buffers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head Eimear, no matter how long you're working on a project or tackling a particular experiment, it never gets any easier to write pages upon pages of how something failed miserably: why I think it went wrong, what I'm going to do differently next time...chances are I have no idea how to answer those questions anyway, ha!
    The joys of PhD-ing...I've stopped writing in my lab book altogether, pretty prism files can do all the talking for me from now on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eimear says it all! But you forgot to mention going to the fridge to coat a plate only to realise that the last person to use the carbonate buffer only left a few drops so you get stuck making up more. GRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serial dilutions are the pits!

    2FM Golden Hour makes it even more annoying!

    Except for Jimmy Nail, obviously.

    ReplyDelete